Noah Buchanan [NRA 2021] : Compositional drawing for visual perception and light, 2021.
SAL record control number: 101176 ;
Record level: Item ;
Record type: Movable work ;
Work title: Compositional drawing for visual perception and light [from artist] ;
Alternate work titles:
2021 : Compositional drawing for visual perception and light [from artist] ;
Work date: 2021 [from artist] ;
Work creator: Noah Buchanan [NRA 2021] ;
Work medium: Graphite on paper ;
Work dimensions: 17-1/2 x 7-1/4 inches [unframed] ;
Inscribed / signed front: [unknown] ;
Verso: [unknown] ;
SAL category: Works on paper ;
SAL sub-category: Drawings ;
Archives of American Art subjects:
Allegory — Light
Allegory — Perception
Art — American
Art ― Private collections ― New York (State)
Art ― Private collections ― New York (State) ― Salmagundi
Figure female — Full length
Description of work:
Light and visual perception [left panel]
Allegorical figure for visual perception (principal, standing / kneeling female figure):
● A painter in the act of looking / perceiving; she kneels on a stack of texts, inferring the idea that knowledge informs perception.
● The painter is winged, alluding to the freedom the artist possesses when their perceptual abilities are fully advanced. The wings also make a reference to Abbot Handerson Thayer’s affiliation / history with the Salmagundi Club.
● The palette makes a strong visual connection to the palettes on display in the Salmagundi library itself, immediately above the doors.
● The binoculars represent pursuits in seeing more powerfully, and further afield.
Allegorical figure for light (upper figure, floating boy figure):
● The figure represents white light itself.
● The figure holds a triangular glass prism and demonstrates that white light can be broken into prismatic color.
● This figure is in the act of conveying / lecturing the knowledge of Light to the painter, instructing the painter’s observations/decision making.
2021 SCNY, gift of the artist, accession #[tba] ;
2021 Noah Buchanan [NRA 2021], the artist .
2021 SCNY Noah Buchanan : library studies October 17 – November 19.
References / citations:
– Collection database, accession #[tba].
Digital-born document number:
Record birth date:
July 4, 2021
Last updated: October 18, 2021 at 13:23 pm