Noah Buchanan [NRA 2021] : Study for intelligence, 2021.
SAL record control number: 101181 ;
Record level: Item ;
Record type: Movable work ;
Work title: Study for intelligence [title from artist] ;
Alternate work titles:
2021 : Study for intelligence [title from artist] ;
Work date: 2021 [from artist] ;
Work creator: Noah Buchanan [NRA 2021] ;
Work medium: Graphite, charcoal, chalk and crayon on prepared paper ;
Work dimensions: 22 x 16 inches [unframed] ;
Inscribed / signed front: [unknown] ;
Verso: [unknown] ;
SAL category: Works on paper ;
SAL sub-category: Drawings ;
Archives of American Art subjects:
Allegory — Intelligence
Art — American
Art ― Private collections ― New York (State)
Art ― Private collections ― New York (State) ― Salmagundi
Figure male — Half length
Description of work:
Allegorical figure for intelligence (upper, standing figure):
As per Cesare Ripa’s 17th Century text Iconologia, the following symbolism is taken from his analysis of intelligence:
● This figure representing intelligence is wrapped in gold, showing that intelligence is of the highest value.
● He holds aloft a sphere which is an illustrated constellation globe, making reference to the classical idea that a Library symbolizes the Universe.
● His other hand holds a serpent which represents the idea that intelligence delves into earthly matters/sciences (as a snake moves upon the earth).
● Sphere and Serpent symbolize that Intelligence gives access to realms of both the terrestrial and the astronomical, or The Mortal vs. The Divine.
● A lightning bolt appears behind the head of the figure to imply the electrical current of thought, and its power.
2021 SCNY, gift of the artist, accession #[tba] ;
2021 Noah Buchanan [NRA 2021], the artist .
2021 SCNY Noah Buchanan : library studies October 17 – November 19.
References / citations:
– Collection database, accession #[tba].
Digital-born document number:
Record birth date:
July 4, 2021
Last updated: October 18, 2021 at 13:23 pm